USF’s First-Year Experience (FYE) is a year-long program that helps first-year students transition to the many aspects of USF life — academic, social, cultural, and spiritual.
Through a combination of courses, programs, and events, you’ll:
- Develop the academic skills needed for university-level work
- Learn the foundational content and method of your major
- Understand USF’s Franciscan values and how they apply to contemporary society
- Connect to all USF resources
- Participate in leadership and community service activities
- Come to know faculty, staff, and so many other students!
FYE Core Programs & Components
- Orientation is an early step in your First Year Experience (FYE), laying the foundation for success before you ever step foot in a classroom. Through a combination of online NSO and Campus Connection Day, you’ll equip yourself with the information you need to be successful at USF and meet faculty, staff, & other students who will walk along with you through your FYE.
- Welcome Weekend is a fun & meaningful 3-day experience for all new students. You’ll experience the USF community in full swing, participate in time-honored traditions, learn about resources, attend sessions, and come away with everything you need for a transformative college experience.
- First Year Seminar, Engage, is an introductory course to university studies that all students take in their first year.
- The First Year Advising Program challenges and supports first-year students in making a successful transition to the college, feeling connected to and engaged with USF programs and resources, and in achieving academic, professional, and personal goals.
- Orientation and Welcome Leaders are student leaders who are trained to host events for and build relationships with first-year students in order to assist in their transition to USF.
As a result of your FYE, you’ll gain
- Insight through information, especially the resources, services, and technology needed
- New friendships with students and mentoring relationships with faculty and staff
- Ownership over your experience, the kind that comes with confidence and support
- The potential to transform as you grow through your USF experience
*The FYE program is designed for undergraduate students on our Fort Wayne campus.