Interdisciplinary Studies (AA, BA)
There’s no one else like you. Build a degree plan as unique as you are.
- Available as
- Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts
- 2 or 4 years
- Fort Wayne, Crown Point
Why Study Interdisciplinary Studies?
Get ready to customize! University degree programs don’t always fit your exact career goals. That’s the idea behind the interdisciplinary studies major, where you design your own academic journey.
The freedom and flexibility of an interdisciplinary studies program allow you to build skills and knowledge specific to your future plans, as well as prepare you for graduate school.
Why Choose Saint Francis?
No matter how you customize your curriculum, your University of Saint Francis academic experience will be rooted in our liberal arts and Franciscan values of faith and reason. You will be prepared to enter your profession of choice as a well-rounded, principled, ethical leader.
The Interdisciplinary Studies program, available as an associate or bachelor’s program, starts with core classes that will develop your professional writing and communication skills, important for any career path. It will culminate with a senior capstone project that demonstrates your knowledge of your chosen areas of study.
fields of study to choose from
Average class size at Saint Francis
Career success rate for our Class of 2022 interdisciplinary studies majors
Explore Your Passions: Concentration Areas
With your ambition and our vast course catalog, the opportunities are nearly endless:
- A budding wildlife photographer or nature writer could fill their schedule with studio art/photography, creative writing, biology, and environmental science classes.
- Someone with a dream of launching an e-commerce store can combine entrepreneurship, digital media, web design, and management courses.
- An aspiring non-profit leader could build a solid foundation with coursework in interpersonal relations, communication, business, and ministry.
- Designed for maximum personalization, this interdisciplinary studies program includes concentrations and can incorporate minors; business and health studies are two common options.
Strong Academic Support and Guidance
One of the best aspects of Saint Francis’ interdisciplinary studies program is that you will get to learn from and be inspired by highly qualified, caring and knowledgeable professors from across the university.
You will also have a personal academic advisor who will:
- Help you develop your specific academic plan and help you put it into action
- Advise you on additional course and career options that match your goals
- Connect you with real-world learning opportunities on campus and beyond
- Assist you with graduate school or professional recommendations
Real-World Learning Opportunities
Saint Francis is known for its hands-on approach to education; your individual experiences will vary based on the classes and concentrations you choose, but experiential and co-curricular options could include:
- Project-based learning working with real-world business or nonprofit partners
- Writing, designing or producing for a campus publication or production
- Travel studies or mission trips around the U.S. and abroad
- Service-learning and volunteer work
- Internships and practicum experiences
- Independent, faculty-mentored research
Campus and Community
With dozens of clubs, an active athletics scene, and a thriving culture of community service, there are many ways to meet people and get involved on campus. Just a few examples:
- Student Activities Council
- Intramural Sports
- Student Government Association
Where You’ll Find Our Graduates
Interdisciplinary Studies majors work in social services, sales, retail management, graphic design, government, healthcare, higher education and many other fields — they also launch companies or take on more responsibility within the family business.
Graduates of this flexible university program also use their bachelor’s degree as a stepping stone to graduate school and have been accepted into master’s programs at schools such as:
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Indiana University South Bend
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- National University of Health Sciences
- University of Saint Francis
“Saint Francis taught me how to be a leader in every aspect of my life.”Emma Bachtel ’23 Program Coordinator, Hylant
“Our Franciscan values are helping me live the life I want, one where I’m not just working for myself, but working on behalf of others. I’ve also learned great communication skills and how to build relationships with people who are different from me.”Leah Stoffel ’23 Audio Associate, FORVIS