The study of matter. A career that matters.
- Available as
- Bachelor of Science
- 4 years
- Fort Wayne
Why Study Chemistry?
Sister Carol Meyers summed it up best when she said: “Chemistry is the study of matter and its transformation. And what do you see in all of creation but transformations of matter? It’s the base and core of everything.”
Chemistry intersects with many other fields of study, from environmental science to public health. This opens chemistry majors up to a wide range of career opportunities behind the microscope and beyond.
Why Saint Francis for Chemistry?
A rich research experience for undergraduates is a hallmark of Saint Francis’ chemistry program. Not only will you gain the technical and scientific knowledge you need for today’s workplace, but our liberal arts foundation will also allow you to develop solid communication and collaboration skills employers are looking for.
Career success rate for our Class of 2022 chemistry graduates
Median salary for chemists and materials scientists in 2022
Number of new jobs expected for chemists and materials scientists between 2022 and 2032
Research Experience for Undergraduates
You’ll embark on a faculty-mentored research project in an area you’re passionate about, and you can share your findings with the campus community at our annual Saint Francis Research Exhibition.
Additionally, you might even get to present a paper or poster at an industry meeting or conference. Our chemistry majors travel with faculty members to events such as:
- American Chemical Society, regional and national conferences
- Carnegie Institute
- Undergraduate Research Conference at Butler University
- Conference for Undergraduate Women in the Physical Sciences
- Ohio Valley University Malacologists Meetings
Summer Research Opportunities
Chemistry majors can gain experience as faculty research assistants or apply for summer fellowships through the National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates, which offers programs at:
- American Chemical Society Nuclear Radiochemistry Summer School, New York
- Kellogg Biological Station Lab, Michigan
- Bioenergy Systems Program, Nebraska
Internships and Service Learning
Chemistry majors also gain real-world experience in industrial settings through internships with local companies such as:
- Allen County Prosecutor’s Office
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Cooke Polymer Technology
- Corteva Agriscience
- Fort Wayne Metals Lab
- A&L Great Lakes Laboratory
Sometimes our project-based scientific research benefits the greater community. Since 2017, Saint Francis chemistry majors have teamed up with the Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health to test and analyze area homes for lead-based paint. To learn more about this award-winning community-based research project, led by Dr. Geyer.
“The professors and staff at Saint Francis are driven to making sure students find their paths. It starts the second you come to campus and continues all the way through. There are so many people there who will help you find the opportunities that match who you are and what you want to do with your life.”Erin Skinner ’19 Master’s candidate at Miami (Ohio) University
“As a faculty member, we provide a good foundation for all the students’ possible pathways, whether it’s graduate school, industry or pre-professional. This process begins with small class sizes, opportunities for hands-on experience with instrumentation and personalized attention from the faculty, “Dr. Matt Breece Chemistry Program Director
“I love it because the professors genuinely care about each student and do what they can to make you succeed. The small Chemistry class enables the faculty to be there and get to know each student personally. I love being able to build a relationship with the faculty.”Sara Advany, ’24 Nutrition major
Faculty and Facilities
You will learn, experiment, collaborate and discover in state-of-the-art facilities. Saint Francis’ Achatz Hall of Science features high-tech classrooms and chemistry labs equipped with modern tools and instrumentation, such as spectrophotometers and fluorometers.
Our dedicated chemistry faculty has a diverse range of research interests and professional experience, including forensic, inorganic and organic chemistry.
Campus and Community
Join your fellow science- and math-minded Cougars in Sigma Pi, an active student organization that:
- Judges local high school science fairs
- Offers peer tutoring
- Organizes an annual National Chemistry Week celebration
- Sponsors a research exhibition
Career Opportunities: Chemistry Degree Jobs
With a chemistry degree, jobs are plentiful. You can work in product development, research, quality control, health and safety, education, lab management and regulatory affairs in settings such as:
- Colleges and universities
- Government agencies
- Conservation and environmental protection
- Food and beverage production
- Public health
As you advance in your career as a materials scientist or chemist, salary potential can also grow.
Where You’ll Find Our Graduates
- Lead chemist, Valbruna Slater Stainless Inc.
- Chemist, Lannett Company
- Research chemist, The Shepherd Color Company
- Histologist, Florida Hospital
- Biology teacher, Northwest Allen Schools
- Science teacher, Warsaw Community Schools
- Quality manager, Equipto Electronics Corporation
- Quality control analyst, Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Production engineer, Cook Polymer Technology
Saint Francis chemistry majors and minors also pursue graduate and doctoral programs such as:
- Purdue University Fort Wayne (Master’s of Education in microbiology)
- Purdue University (Ph.D. in earth, atmospheric and planetary sciences)
- University of Saint Francis (Master of arts in education)
- Vanderbilt University (Ph.D. in chemistry)