Surgical Technology Mission
The University of Saint Francis Department of Surgical Technology exists to serve its communities of interest in the field of surgical technology, emphasizing the liberal arts tradition, Franciscan values, professional growth and leadership.
The Department of Surgical Technology is committed to:
- 1) Prepare students for certification as an entry-level surgical technologist.
- 2) Provide employers with skilled surgical technologists who effectively apply theory to practice.
- 3) Promote development of clinical competencies according to the highest level of practice.
- 4) Enhance the surgical technology student personally and professionally through general education.
- 5) Provide a learning environment that recognizes individual differences and promotes Franciscan values.
- 6) Assist students in developing effective learning patterns on which to build further professional growth
Student Learning Outcomes
Reflecting Franciscan values, the Surgical Technology graduate will:
- Respect and protect each patient’s right to privacy, dignity, safety and comfort.
- Demonstrate compassion in perioperative patient care and professional relations.
- Utilize strong surgical conscience to ensure the environmental safety of patients, health care personnel and self.
- Skillfully apply scientific and surgical theory to aseptic technique, instrument handling skills, tissue manipulation and patient care.
- Use critical thinking skills to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and other members of the surgical team.
- Utilize technology in preparation for expanded roles as a surgical technologist.
- Integrate concepts from the social and behavioral sciences into interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
- Assume responsibility for self-direction by participating in activities that contribute to personal and professional growth.