Mary Spath, PhD, RN, CNS, CNE
PhD, Indiana University School of Nursing, 2009
MSN, Southern Illinois University, 1995
- Certified Nurse Educator
- CNS Med/Surg with Hematology/Oncology/BMT expertise
- CNS Psychiatric Mental Health expertise
Awards and Recognitions
- Indiana University School of Nursing Emily Holmquist Award, 2007
- National Research Service Award (NINR/NIH), 2007-2010
- National Research/Indiana University Pre-doctoral Fellowship (NINR/NIH) 2005-2006
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- American Nurses Association
- Spath, M.L., Fife, B.L., Monahan, P.O., Decker, C.L., Austin, J.K., Abonour, R. & Wood, L.L. (2013). Children’s emotional adaptation to parental BMT. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 48, 135-140. doi: 10.1038/bmt.2012.93
- Blauvelt, M., Erickson, C., Davenport, N., & Spath, M. (2011). Say yes to peer review: A collaborative approach to faculty development. Nurse Educator, 37(3), 126-131.
- Spath, M.L., Godfrey, J., Taylor, A., Bell, L.G. (2011). Promoting interdisciplinary care of patients and their families: A classroom project. Nurse Educator, 36(4), 175-178.
- Davenport, N., Spath, M.L., & Blauvelt, M. (2009). A step-by-step approach to curriculum review. Nurse Educator, 34 (4), 181-185.
- Blauvelt, M. & Spath, M.L. (2008). Passing the torch: The faculty mentoring program atone school of Nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives, 29 (1), 29-33.
- Spath, M. L. (2007). Children facing a family member's serious illness: A review of interventional studies. International Journal of Nursing Research, 44, 834-844.
- Spath, M. L. (2007). A need for clarity: Scholarship, scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. Nursing Education Perspectives, 28(5), 235-236.
- Spath, M. L. (2007). Continued Controversies: Issues in Mental Health Research and Implications for Nursing. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Assoc., 13 (4), 221-229
- Spath, M. “Findings from child participants from the ACS funded study: Family Adaptation to Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation” (ACS#RSGBP-05-012-01-CPPB) presented to the medical and nursing staff at IU Medical Center, 1/18/2011, Indianapolis, IN
- Spath, M. “The Impact of the Family on Child Adaptation to Parental BMT: A Longitudinal Analysis presented at the Congress for the Advancement of Nursing Science sponsored by the American Academy of Nursing, 9/29/10, Washington, DC
- Spath, M., Decker, C., & Fife, B. “Impact of the Family on Children’s Adaptation to the Acute Phase of Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation” accepted and presented at 33rd Annual Midwest Nursing Research Conference, 3/27-30/09, Minneapolis, MN
- Blauvelt, M. & Spath, M. “Passing the Torch: A Faculty Mentoring Program” (Co-presenter) at “Educating for Change” sponsored by Drexel University Nursing Education Institute; Arlington, Virginia, June 5, 2009 and presented at Chicago Institute of Nursing Education at St. Xavier University, 6/26/08, Chicago, IL
- Spath, M., Decker, C., & Fife, B. “Family Impact on Children’s Adaptation to Parental BMT” poster accepted and presented at National Cancer Survivorship Conference—Sponsored by NIH and American Cancer Society; 6/08, Atlanta, GA
- Taylor, A., Spath, M. L., Bell, L.G. “Communication with Families in Healthcare Transitions: Difficulties when Transitions are Fraught with Ethical Concerns based on Conflicting Values". Poster accepted and presented at International Conference of Communication in Healthcare, 10/07, Charleston, SC
- Co-Investigator: “A Brief Family Intervention to Promote Adaptation to the Stress of Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation”. Study conducted through Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis. Sponsored and funded by the National Institute of Health, NINR, 7/1/2010-7/1/2012.
- Co-Investigator: “Adaptation of Families to Bone Marrow Transplant”. Study conducted through Indiana-Purdue University School of Nursing, Indianapolis. Study funded and sponsored by The American Cancer Society.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Indiana University School of Nursing
- Executive Board Member: Interfaith Hospitality Network, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Education Board: Plymouth United Church of Christ, Fort Wayne, Indiana