Art Deco clothing, accessories, poster exhibit a knockout for Gala
"Fashionable Art: Apparel from the 1920s and 1930s" drew at least 650 guests, a record-breaking number, to the School of Creative Arts' Presidential Gala on Sept. 8, said SOCA Dean Rick Cartwright.
Fort Wayne historian Don Orban lent his collection of vintage Art Deco-style women’s clothing and accessories for the gala exhibit, and Auburn artist John Souder contributed a collection of his Auburn Cord Duesenberg posters for the Rolland Center walls. Depicting the gleaming paint, shiny chrome and sleek lines of the classic cars built by Auburn Automobile Co., the posters paired automotive elements with the female fashions and silhouettes of the time.
Music, food and beverages combined with the historical exhibits and perfect weather for the enjoyable evening in the gallery and tented exterior patio area. Sparkling dresses and accessories drew "ooh's" and "aah's" from the crowd, and those with smart phones could use QR codes affixed to a timeline of events linking to a Tumblr site with more information, pictures, videos and posters from the era.
The exhibits are free and open to the public in the Weatherhead and Goldfish galleries in SOCA through Oct. 12.
We Want Your Story
The Marketing Team is looking for people and stories to be featured on the homepage. Have you taken a class from a great professor that you think deserves to be featured? Know an alumnus who has an interesting job? Maybe you have done work that made a difference to people? How has USF impacted your life? We want to know your story! Send an email to the webmaster and tell us why you or someone you know should be featured on sf.edu.
- We the People
- Campus busy for Christmas at USF
- A day “on”—USF-style
- Chile immersion a service adventure
- Forget glamour
- Historic MLK Jr. speech anchors USF’s “Future of Education”
- Student’s rain garden supports Green Campus initiatives
- Setting the Stage for Comedy
- USF Diversity Resource Center will provide lots of ways to view differences
- Tickled pink—and blue—and purple—etc.
- Sweet Deal
- One unique heart
- All you need is Love
- Steel Magnolias
- Future of Nursing
- Cougar Classic
- USF students partner with Fort Wayne Children's Zoo on video
- Art Deco Clothing
- Homecoming 2012
- Bennett visits USF to discuss education changes
- Will Rogers Follies
- Cultivating Confidence
- Spring play examines social injustice
- It's All for Them
- Troubadours, Cougars enjoy phenomenal Homecoming
- SOCA students soar at Addy awards
- Cold reigns at first Cougar Chill