Daniel J. Torlone
Chair, Department of Education
Doctor of Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
Program Emphasis: Educational Administration
Master of Education, Boston University
Program Emphases: Educational Administration
Curriculum and Instruction
Bachelor of Arts, Marshall University
Majors: Secondary Social Studies
Subject Areas Taught
- EDUC 301 Advanced Practicum in Teaching and Field Supervision
- EDUC 389 Methods for Teaching Secondary Social Studies
- EDUC 425 Seminar for Student Teaching
- EDUC 480 Student Teaching Field Supervision
The gulf between the ideal of teaching and the real may be deep. Yet, when I recall the words of the eminent philosopher, Dr. John Dewey, the gulf becomes less daunting, and even hopeful: “Education is not preparation for life. Education is life.”
My professional efforts explore the connection between policy and practice. Of particular interest are the ways in which macro education policies do and do not, can and cannot impact student learning and teacher effectiveness.
- Teaching: Grades 7-12, Social Studies, State of Ohio
- Teaching and Administration: State of New York
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Principal Author and Editor. “Institutional Report, USF Department of Education.” National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. October 2010.
- Co-Author and Reviewer. Report of the Quality Assurance Team on Latin American Schools, AdvancED Worldwide. Davy College, Cajamarca, Peru, September 2007.
- Co-Author and Reviewer. Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide (formerly Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, SACS). American Nicaraguan School, Managua, Nicaragua, March 2007.
- Co-Author and Reviewer. Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide. American School Foundation, Mexico City, D.F. March 2005.
- Torlone, D. J. Book Review. Ethical Leadership by Robert Starratt.“Education Review.” November 22, 2004.
- Co-Author and Reviewer. Quality Assurance Process, AdvancEd Worldwide.
- Colegio Bolivar, Cali, Colombia. April 2004.
- Co-author: USF Department About Teaching: of Education’s Institutional Report for the re-accreditation project.
- Reviewer: Indiana Department of Education’s History Standards for secondary education.
- Consultant and Presenter: Six national forums for the state of Indiana on the Center for Improving Teaching Quality. An initiative sponsored by the Council of chief State School Officers.
- Presenter: “Assessing Educators’ Dispositions during Professional Preparation.” Hawaii International Conference on Education.