USF's Homecoming 2012: Dampness no damper
It would have taken more than a little pouring rain in the forenoon to dampen the spirits of alumni and friends gathered at USF for Homecoming Day Sept. 22.
Participants enthusiastically supported the theme, "There's No Place Like Home," by turning out in numbers, in spite of iffy weather, for events like the morning Cougar Spirit Run/Walk. Thirty-seven participants toed the line for the spirit cause, and a few winners emerged:
- First place with a time of 16.29—USF student Ryan Taylor
- Second place with a time of 16.49—USF student Alex Trippel
- Third place with a time of 17.20—USF student Cole De'Nise
- First place with a time of 20.42—Natalie Wiegmann (BS '05)
- Second place with a time of 22.26—USF student Jessica Huelsman
- Third place with a time of 22.35—Shannon (Mohan) Martinez (BA '01)
Alumni pitted athletic skills against one another in soccer, baseball, softball, and basketball, while a new Meet the Coaches barbecue dinner brought Coach Donley and his staff together with alumni and friends over a dinner of barbecue, corn on the cob, cornbread and giant brownies.
At 3:30 p.m., the sun, which had been flirting with the idea of an appearance all day, came out in full force, warming soggy sneakers and dialing spirits at tailgate parties by the School of Arts and Sciences and others even higher. Alumni and their families congregated in the south end zone Alumni Tent for food, beverages and a great view of the game while catching up on news of kids and careers.
The prior evening, over 130 people gathered at the North Campus for dinner and the Alumni Awards, Athletic Hall of Fame Awards and the new Alumni of Achievement Awards. The new awards honored one graduate chosen by the dean of each school for achievement in his or her field of study.